Posts

Showing posts from September, 2017

Sewing This and That 9-2017

Image
I have made progress on fitting adjustments for the peplum top.  Decided that the shoulder and armscye area is just to full and decided to remove the sleeves, to trim out some of this fullness.  I have enough fabric to cut a new pair of sleeves.

It took me forever to remove serger stitches from one sleeve.  I still have the other one to do.  I know there has to be an easier way to remove serger stitches.  If you know a quick way to remove the stitches, please share.  I have not taken the time to go to You Tube and probably there is a tutorial for that.  In removing the stitches, some places had small tears in the armhole area; it is okay as I am removing some from that area.

Here's a peak of the work in progress for this peplum top.  Very fall looking and I am doing more than I normally do to save this fabric and top.


I took advantage of some National Sewing Month discounts.  One was for 15% off EOS fabric.  The deadline was ended last week.  I bought a black denim rayon ponte kn…

Sewing challenge

I had hoped to be posting some photos of the peplum top.  That was not meant to be.I have had some real fitting issues with this pattern.

Attending a weekend retreat a couple of months ago with Pamela Leggett, she explained how she drafts her patterns with the more mature figure in mind.  She adds extra ease through waist and hips, she drafts shoulders for forward shoulders and bodices in the upper/shoulder area are based on high bust measurements.

I needed to add to the bust area and truly added to much and lowered the bust dart by 1/2 inch. Sometimes when you make a FBA the bust gets lowered some.  Also the width at the waist increases unless you move darts.  All of this contributed to fitting issues; keep in mind also knit fabrics have varying stretch capabilities and that impacts fit as well.

Having said all of that the top was way, way, way to big.  I fell to keep in mind when creating the FBA the stretch factor and could have gone with a much smaller increase.  This also added …

Current project

Image
My current project-Pretty Peplum Top using fabric from LaFinch fabrics.  It is a Liverpool Knit, interesting texture.  In the basting stage for the upper bodice at this time.  Not much sewing time this week, too tired after work to do much.

More updates as the sewing journey picks up speed!

Checking In

Image
I am having a long holiday weekend.😉

I took Thursday and Friday off allowing me to do several fun things including spending time in my sewing room.  I have been sewing the Pamela's Patterns Tank Top.  I had some issues with this top and of course I realized there was a tutorial with some updated instructions that were not included in the pattern envelope.

I like the top and I got a good fit; yet I know that I will have issues with the strap growing and they were not stabilized as she recommends in the tutorial.  I used this fabric leftover from another project.
It is a lovely knit with good recovery yet I think it was a little to soft for this particular pattern.  Added to this is the fact that I did not stabilize the neckline or straps as recommended in the tutorial. There were some other stitching instructions about the facing and what I should have done at the strap area.

I will take shots of the finished top and most likely may use this as a tank top for sleeping.  I will ma…

Labels

Show more

Sewcialists

Sewcialists