Saturday morning I attended an ASG sponsored program teaching young people how to sew. I presented on pin fitting patterns and demonstrating a little of how that works. Another member spoke on sewing a muslin for fitting.
Later that day I began working on the Style Arc Marilyn dress. I cut a 12 in the upper chest/shoulder area and expanded to 14 at the bust area to hemline. After edge finishing with the serger, I then attached the shoulders together and basted the sides and back center seam for fitting.
The dress was huge!!!The seam allowances were for 3/8 inch seams. I ended up taking 5/8 inch seams on the sides. For the back seam I actually took in an inch from the top edge down to the waist and from there took 5/8 seams. This truly made a difference in the fit.
I did not do a forward shoulder adjustment as I when pin fitting the shoulders seemed to be forward. That proved to be correct. I also thought the dress may end up being too big through the body just the way the tracing paper hung.
For me, Style Arc patterns run large for the most part. Though that was not my experience with the cold-shoulder top I recently made. I used a 12 for that and it proved to be too tight through the bodice. I also had a fitting issue with the back shoulder; I had made a FSA for that and given that I did not need to do for this pattern, perhaps that was a factor for the gaping at the back shoulder. Here is a picture from yesterday showing work in progress.
I will share more latter.