Posts

Showing posts from June, 2016

Cold Shoulder

Image
Simplicity 1363 is complete!  Finally!

I really like this top and wore it yesterday with pants and open toe shoes to work. The top felt good while wearing and the fabric was perfect for hot summer day, yet cool in the office. Hardly any wrinkles.

I took pictures Tuesday evening of the top and it looked good with shorts as something casual, it looked business casual for work though our work place attire is very formal.  With planning discussion with staff from two mission related programs, this was perfect for brainstorming, no suits or panty hose needed.   A certain someone in the agency may think otherwise.

I digress--here are shots of the top.





A few notes about this pattern that you may want to consider if you decide to make this.

Pattern has lots of ease.  I normally use size 14-16 in Vogue and Butterick patterns. For this one I used small for neck, upper chest, shoulder.  Transitioned to medium for bust to bottom.I did not do a FBA-yeah-because of the ease.  There are princess seam…

Patterns Recently Purchased and Sewing Progress

Image
I mentioned in a previous post that I took advantage of McCall's and Simplicity pattern sale. I finally got around to taking some pictures of the patterns.

Here are some pictures of the patterns:





Today I have been working on completing the Simplicity top. I had to make some fitting adjustments after I had basted the side seams and the shoulders. The top is rather full and based on the finished bust and hip measurements I did not have to make any fitting adjustments in those areas.

I ended up taking deeper underarm seams and this is sometimes necessary with this type of type sleeve. I took a deeper seam right under the bust curve and ended up taking deeper back seam as well.

I used a small size in the neckline, shoulder and upper chest area. I ended up with a gap at the back neck closing. I had to make an adjustment in that area which resulted in the elimination of the back opening as I could easily pull the top over my head without a button and loop closure.

I only have to hem the…

Some progress

The weather has been great this weekend and that means DH and I are out and about.  So sewing has been sparse and sporadic.

The neckband is attached to the Simplicity top.  I had some issues with this as the directions say one thing but illustrations show something else. I chose to follow the illustrations and ended up with neckband facing on the right side and neckband on the inside.  Not a big issue except I had trimmed and notched the seams before discovering the error.  It was solvable, though added a few more steps to a simple project.

I had to stop at JoAnn's to get a tube turner while we were out  as I have no idea where my current one is located.  Shame on me for a messing and cluttered sewing room.  Normally when I buy a replacement I end up finding the one that was "lost".  So far it has not shown up!

Simplicity, McCall's and Vogue patterns were on sale and I tried hard to walk away without looking but several patterns on my wishlist captured my attention a…

Sewing progress-Simplicity 1363

Image
Yesterday and today were bright summery days with temps in the low 90's. DH did some shopping chores for us yesterday AM which gave me time to cut out the fabric for my new top-S1363.

I made some adjustments to the pattern.  With this pattern there was two side front pieces with xxs-s sizes on one piece and the other piece was for m-xxl.  Simplicity patterns seem to run large in the upper chest/shoulder/neck areas on me so I decide I would cut a small in those areas transitioning to medium from the bust down.  For the front I overlaid the xxs-s over the medium size for the front pattern piece and taped them together, as you can see here.

I lined up the straight of grain arrows and aligned the medium for the sleeve and bust area to provide the extra width I needed.  Normally with kimono sleeves like this I end up taking a deeper seam in the under arm area, so I made find the small to work better.  Better to have more to take deeper seam than less and have tightness.

I was able to s…

TGIF

This has been a heck of week.  So happy that it is now Friday.

My pattern is almost adjusted and plan to cut out the fabric shortly.  Looking forward to sewing time this weekend.

I hope your sewing plans are fulfilled this weekend also.  Catch up with you later.


Stash Shopping

Image
The fabric I wrote about in my last post is now going to become something else.  After stash shopping I found another similar weight/texture fabric that the red matched well with the red in the print fabric. Yet it just was not speaking to me to use together.

Another blogger suggested using lace, which I did not have in a color that would go with the print.  So I decided to move onto another pattern. Working my way through my top/blouse patterns, I found this one.
I decided to try the cold shoulder look and will make the view of the floral print. This I think will be a good marriage with the print fabric and pattern.  I need to make a few adjustments to the pattern and hope to cut out the fabric later this week.
More sewing updates later.

Next Project

Image
I want to make McCall's 7359 next.  I am browsing through my fabric collection to see if I can find something from it. One fabric I keep coming back to is one I purchased from EmmaOneSock, February 2014.
This is a rayon-viscose.  I wanted to make a top with contrasting fabric for bodice and yoke.  Just not finding the right color or texture to go with this fabric.  I am continuing to search through stash for other contrasting fabrics that I may use instead.




Labels

Show more

Sewcialists

Sewcialists