I spent a lot of time on B6175-crop, boxy top. I am not exited about how the top is shaping up. Some of my dislike is that the fabric is not performing as I thought it would for this top. The other dislike is not so sure that this top is going to work for me.
I had to make some fitting adjustments throughout the sewing process for this top. As you will recall from an earlier post, I had to cut a new front piece which improved the fit and allowed me to re-position the darts.
I decided to use an invisible zipper for the back piece, which I like and glad that I did. I now think though that I might should have taken a deeper back seam.
I had to remove 1/2 inch from the shoulder width as after basting in one of the sleeves for fitting purposes I discovered that it was falling off my shoulder too much. I removed 1/2 inch from the back of the armscye and 3/8 from the front of it. This helped improve the fit. I also took a deeper back seam below the zipper. I think my next move will be to taper the seams from the waist down to make it less boxy! The sleeves are seem a little long, they are not yet hemmed. I may shortened them before I am through!
I pressed all of the seams after sewing and I am not liking how they look after pressing, that I know is due to the polyester fabric.
This may prove to be a wadder. I have sewn a few of those over the past few months.
I really need to remeasure my shoulder width, upper chest and more as all the tops I am making of late are just to large. I do buy my top patterns based on upper chest measurement. When you get past a certain I think you do shrink. I use to be 5'3", now I am 5'2.25"! I have been getting in my workout time so that changes things also.
Here are some parting shots of work in progress:
I am ready to move on to some other projects. Perhaps it's time to make something in a pattern that is already fit perfected. I need a winner.