Sunday, October 19, 2014

Catching Up

I have not been in the mood to sew after the recent holiday. I am still adjusting to changes at work and I've allowed myself to get into a funk. I took some time this weekend to refocus the messages playing in my head. I am working at being more positive!  Life is all about change and when it impacts you personally it feels different than when you are directing the change. Enough said about my personal feelings.

This blog is about sewing and so let me share with you what I've done this weekend. I worked on the McCall's tunic top and I am not happy with it. Some of it has to do with the fabric and some of it is just am not feeling happy about the look of the top with the drape.

The draped neckline is a nice touch but with this fabric it's very heavy. You can see a close-up of the neck drape below:


The neckline is somewhat low and I raised it an inch and a half prior to cutting it out. Even with this adjustment, it was still too low and the weight of the drape pulls the neckline forward. You can see the top as it stands now.


I  decided I do not want to spend any more time on this top. I have numerous other patterns waiting for attention as well as other fabric. I am going to put this aside and perhaps donate to a local charity.

I decided to complete the black McCall's dress UFO. It needed the sleeves hemmed as well as hemming the dress. This I have completed and now have a new black dress to wear. The knit fabric was a double knit purchase from Mood.

After completing the hemming, I cut around the pattern pieces for another McCall's knit top.I plan to use some recently purchased knit fabric from EOS.

I have a business trip again next week and I hope that I have an opportunity to visit a fabric store while there.


8 comments:

  1. Changes can sometimes you negatively and it can take awhile to adjust. Hang in there and the positive will return. Hope the next garment you sew makes you happier than this top. We all have wadders sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna! I have planned my next knit top and the fabric is bright and cheerful.

      Delete
  2. Oh, isn't it awful when work comes home with us...I hope that eases up soon. The top - I have to agree the drape did come out very heavy. Good for you, to put it aside. I've literally tossed several garments this summer, just gave up on them because after much fiddling I just didn't like them! Hope this is a good week for you - Coco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Coco! The fabric I used for this top, though it met the stretch requirements, was really a heavy fabric. Life is too short and time to move on to something else.

      Delete
  3. After seeing your top, it looks as if it would take a very lightweight knit to handle all that draping. Thanks for the photo. Moving on to something else seems like a good idea, though frustrating I am sure. Hope you get to fabric shop on the trip. Call it work therapy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes with hindsight the fabric is not a good choice for this top, lighter would be better. Unfortunately they moved the Hancock fabric store to another location and I ended up not having any time to go to the new location, too much out of the way, for the time I had.

      Delete
  4. Maybe on your business trip you can find some great fabric to cheer you up. I always find that, if I'm down, a little gift to myself will cheer me up...even if it's just a nap or a couple of hours with a good book. Then you can get back to making lemonaide out of lemons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole. I did not get time to shop but did find a little gift for myself.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...