Saturday, October 19, 2013

BurdaStyle Magazine

I stopped in at JoAnn's Fabrics to pick up a separating zipper for the jacket I am working on.

As I am making my way to check out, I stopped to peruse sewing related magazines and saw this.  I I have not purchased a Burda pattern magazine in quite some time.  I stopped my subscription a few years ago as I felt the price was too high for the number of patterns I ended up making from the magazine.








This is tauted as the premier issue of BurdaStyleUS.  Perhaps others have seen this but it was new to me.  There are patterns to trace included in the issue; there are also instructions for sewing other patterns that have to be downloaded from the BurdaStyle website.  The price was steep ($14.99) I thought yet I paid it anyway.  There were a couple of garments that appealed to me.  There were two sections with patterns to trace so the overlaying of several patterns on pages were not has cluttered.



I thought I would share this and if interested it can be found at JoAnn's.


   
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. I've bought Burda Style for years, and am thinking of ceasing - only every two or three magazines is there a pattern I like. They used to have much more classic styles, now it's all quick and simple which is not what I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seeing a lot of quick and simple in this issue as well. Perhaps it is being done to attract a new and inexperienced sewist.

      Delete
  2. Good info, I had no idea it was now available at Joanns, and in a new "US" version! I let my subscription lapse for the same reasons, and also that I'd rather just cut a big 4 instead of the extra work of trace and cut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not happy hearing only a few patterns are included and others have to be downloaded. I don't think I'd like taping patterns together. I'd rather trace. That being said, if I'm in JoAnn and see the magazine, I'd probably buy it for curiosity's sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that I was more curious than truly attracted to the magazine. Having looked through it and as noted above there area lot of simple and quick to sew type projects in this one. You should look through it if you go to JoAnn's and see what you think.

      Delete
  4. I just started a subscription to the European version because I had always wanted to try it. I knew the US version was coming but had heard rumors about fewer patterns etc. And WOW- $14.99! Seems expensive to me... I am thinking I will just buy a Burda pattern all ready for me in the future- JoAnns sells them and they have had 2 sales in the last few months on them making them quite affordable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This magazine was disappointing to me, especially after finding that many of the patterns have to be downloaded from the BS USA website. I already go to the site and have downloaded a few patterns but did not have to pay $14.99 to get those. Like you I can get Burda patterns at JoAnn's and don't really have to do all that tracing and adding seam allowances!. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...