Saturday, February 02, 2013

Sewing tool

I unfortunately do not live in an area where I have a lot of places to buy buttons.  Over the years I have purchased buttons that appeal to me in colors that I think/know I will eventually use.  My button collection is no where near the level of my pattern/fabric collections--thank goodness!  I would have to move if so.

I bought a tool in November/December 2011 from Sew It Up website.  They were running a special and it was one of those impulse purchases. Scan forward a year plus and I find myself needing a button to go on a jacket and I cannot find the right blue button.  Thus I think that I will make a covered button and I realize that I have the perfect tool or think that I do.

I locate my i-Top tool that is still in the package and in the mailing envelope that it came in though it has been opened 'cause I did that when it arrived.  Also included with this package deal is snaps, buttons and badges that you cover with fabric or paper and turn them into usable objects.  I discover the perfect size button that I will cover with the jacket fabric and I am good to go.

Here is the i-Top tool

and a close up view
The left side (top area) is where you place the top part of the button.  The right side is where you will place a piece of the fabric you are going to use; you then press the tool together.  Fabric is now attached to button and the button is now in the right side of the tool.  You then turn the right part of the tool by lifting and turning toward you, cut off some of the excess fabric, then push remaining fabric over the underside of the button.  You then place the underside of the button (shank part) onto the left side of the tool, then turn the right side back and press the tool together until you hear a click.  You now have a perfect covered button. 

You pop the button out, easy to do as the pink pieces are sturdy, yet flexible rubber.
Here is a close up of the front and back sides of the button:

There is a nice set of tutorials at Imaginisce.  I assure you I am not affiliated with this company.  My impulse purchase has paid off and I see more covered buttons in my future as this is the easiest tool I have ever worked with to get this kind of result.  Off to sew a buttonhole and add the button.

11 comments:

  1. That is a pretty cool tool! I hadn't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat contraption! Before you showed us how it worked, I would have sworn it was some sort of torture implement. ;) Button came out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can see it as a torture implement, too. The button really did turn out nice. I am having problems with buttonhole on jacket though. I need a tool for that.

      Delete
  3. You are an enabler! I must have that tool. It will no doubt sit in my cupboard in it's envelope for a year too - BUT.MUST.HAVE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a neat tool. Hopefully you want let it sit as long as I did.

      Delete
  4. I like this tool but, yeah, if I bought it I would have to move

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cool tool. Is there any difference in that button and the usual covered buttons by Dritz?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really cool tool! Is that available only on the website you purchased it from~ Sew It Up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw it in a recent Nancy's Notions catalog, other than that Sew It Up is the only website.

      Delete
  7. That is really cool! I made my first covered button recently, and I am hooked.

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...