Sunday, October 30, 2011

What next?

I completed the Butterick skirt this AM.  Decided that I needed to do some culling out of sewing debris and went through a huge bag of patterns in my sewing room that I will either sell or give to Goodwill.

I want to make this Butterick jacket, the view at the bottom right.  I have enough of the tobacco/camel wool fabric as well as the black.  I am thinking of making the sleeves in black and the rest in the other color.  I want to wear the jacket with the new skirt; but I am thinking that just may be too much color blocking together.  I think that doing that I could still use the jacket with other black pants or skirts. 

I would really appreciate your feedback about this. Is it to much color blocking? Please take a moment to comment.  Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Linda--first, the skirt is terrific! But yes, I think it would be too much color-blocking to wear the skirt with a color-blocked jacket--OTOH, with a black skirt or pants it will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your skirt! I love the shape of the jacket you are planning to make. It screams "sophisticated". I would keep it all in one fabric. It would still look beautiful with an all black outfit and would work perfectly with your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using color blocking for the top and skirt takes a very subtle hand. So while there are situations where it can overwhelm, there are also times when it works. If you really want to use both colors, I would try making some sketches first and seeing which one appeals to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Carolyn. It could possibly work, but I'd do some sketches and see if anything really works for you. I think that jacket would look lovely in a solid color

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color blocking is so "in" right now. I made that jacket, and it's a great pattern to do embellishment on. I would blow up the line drawing of the jacket, print it out, and color the pieces in different ways. I think I would add another fabric in with the black and camel--a print that has both those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that jacket , but I'd make it all one color with just touches of black - maybe buttons or topstitching. Of course, it's up to you :)

    ReplyDelete

August Sewing Simplicity 7295

 I am not doing well as a blogger. I have been working on this project since July 30. Today, I finally finished it. It has been a stop-and-g...