Heading to the finish line
The Butterick dress is almost complete. I had to take up all the seams-isn't that why we all like princess style garments, so many fitting opportunities. It fits very well now.
I have one dislike with the dress; the underarm is lower than I would like. In adjusting the pattern I raised it 1/2 inch which usually suffices for all sleeveless type dresses/blouses I make. Not so with this one. I will wear a jacket with it, so it will not be noticeable to anyone. I may slip a foam shoulder pad in and see how that works. I don't use shoulder pads as much as I use to.
I only need to hem the dress, the lining and insert a hook and eye above the zipper. I have two jackets that will go with this dress; one I made years ago and the other is a Kasper jacket purchased at a Kasper outlet store in Hagerstown, MD. I thought I was going to have enough of this fabric to make a jacket; if I could squeeze out a jacket from this it would need to be a bolero style.
I think my next project is going to be this Project Runway Simplicity dress. I made a dress this past summer from this pattern and it fit very well..
I have some red wool gabardine fabric and some black gabardine left over from a previous project. I keep seeing black and red suits as well as dresses in local stores. My plan is make the dress in red with yoke in black with a black band at the hemline. I am thinking of adding sleeves to this one, though sleeveless is still an option. I think I may use the red for the sleeves and again black for the sleeve band.